Pages

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Robot Jox

Orion and Urbanmech Battlemechs
6mm scale

Whoa oh oh oh camouflage
things are never quite the way they seem...


In the dark, grim, dark future of Mech warfare, it's hard to camouflage a fifty-foot behemoth under some green paint, nets, and branches.  Some mechwarriors opted instead for brazenness: presenting themselves in bold colours and menacing imagery to intimidate opponents.  But others opted for a different strategy: using countershading and the bizarre patterns and shapes of dazzle camouflage not to hide themselves, but to confuse enemies as to their size, mech type, armaments, and direction of movement.


My brother has bought a bunch of these Battletech-like models from some dicey site in Russia, and sent me a few to try my hand at painting them.  They're really nice quality, presumably mastered via 3-D printing, but since they're unlicensed knock-offs I'll refrain from promoting the manufacturer here.  Apparently he Paypals to some guy named "Yuri" :/

And so we're back... new year, new hobby goals and hopes, right?  May we all keep building, painting and learning, and of course, having fun doing it!  I'm hoping to show off some really fun stuff here in the next while, so stay posted :D

7 comments:

  1. I rather like the colour scheme. Some sort of desert/grotty industrial world dazzle. I find BT colour schemes a little intimidating. I suspect it's due to painting a bunch of historicals, I want to do it "right". And BT has such a depth of story/history that has been created over the many decades of it's life.

    Also the (official) figs are totally on the pricey side for what you get. I'm not sure if it's a bit of 'lead lumps this size are expensive' or if it's mostly milking the IP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking Mechs!
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvellous looking mechs, Allison. The camo reminds me of WW" Matilda tanks and I absolutely love it. Wish I had your steady hands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the notion of applying dazzle camo to mechs. What a splendid idea - and your execution is gorgeous. You do a great job of melding the camouflage pattern with your typical highlighting shennanigans. I have a lot of trouble melding camo and highlighting, so hats off to you.

    I'm intrigued about this off-brand manufacturer. I'm always trying to track down the old "unseen" mech designs, but balk at paying the high ebay mark-up for the old Ral Partha models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh... just find a guy named Yuri and send him money? I'll see if I can get more info. Glad you like these!

      Delete
  5. So, the site is Warhansa and they seem pretty reliable from my personal experience.
    These look fantastic, way better than mine ever will, the colourscheme reminded me a bit of a clownfish though to be honest 😁.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!