Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Kooky Tanuki!

Traveling Tanuki
15 mm scale





Tanuki, or raccoon dogs, are a common subject of Japanese folklore.  They're good-natured, even foolish trickster spirits capable of shape-shifting and disguise.  Traditionally, tanuki were often depicted in humorous art, wielding their preposterously large and prehensile scrotums as tents, hats, fishing nets, and many other useful items. While not including this particular feature, this sculpt from 15mm.co.uk. was still a cute, fun project to quickly paint up.



And a sneak peek at a project I've just started.  It's what I believe is a... unique take on the "parasite" zombie concept.  Figures are from Khurasan.


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful job, stripes are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Phil said, the stripes are great, but I also like the texture on his hat. Great work. I enjoyed the write-up too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has used my scrotum as a fishing net. I mean, not every day. But sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, glad you like it. MS: as for the other thing... everyone's gotta have a hobby, right? Or two, in your case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work, the fur and his jacket turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!