Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Seagoing Scalawags

Bennet's Buccaneers
15 mm



My pirate crew got a bit derailed by Real Life as well as the fun hovercraft in my previous post, but I'm trying to get them finished here.  These are fun little figures with lots of character, but since they're individuals they do take a fair bit more work to paint than a uniform "squad" of soldiers.  Anyway there are four more to finish and hopefully I'll get those posted soon too... because I just ordered some brand spanking new Ion Age stuff that I'd love to paint up!  The eternal struggle...




Speaking of the Ion Age, I've slowly been working on these Geo Shelters for a while.

 
So far they're just base coated and washed, but I like the look already, kind of grimy and industrial. They're kind of small for a factory installation etc., but would make good colony lab or workshop buildings, or a small military camp.  I have to say that, as with the Corbal Hardpoint, the airbrush was really helpful for laying down a nice even base colour on these, though I haven't even a novice's grasp of its more elaborate uses.

7 comments:

  1. Nice painting, love the bases too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Mr. M. And your custom bases are super! Thanks for taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like them! The bases were actually quite easy. They're a half millimeter layer of putty, with a texture pressed into them from a wet coffee stir stick. Wetting it brings out the grain, and prevents it sticking to the putty. Then I just pressed lines into them to make boards with a wet exacto knife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pirates are just great. You really have painting at that scale nailed, I always get urges to look at 15mm figs when I see yours, they look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a slightly diffent technique than bigger figures but the #1 rule is, I think, "be bold" :)

      Delete
  5. Great painting, and nice colour choices. I have been watching Black Sails recently (which is mediocre) and have been thinking about how to paint my pirates. I think I'll take a page from your book and go very colourful rather than a mess of browns. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not recommend "mess of browns". Painting these was inefficient, but it was fun.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!