Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Amphibious Attack

Amphibious Assault Hovercraft
15 mm scale


I was a bit stalled on my pirates, and my sci-fi roots must have been showing, because I whipped this off in less than a week which is pretty speedy for me.  The hover is of course an Ion Age "Adder Combat Lifter" missile pod variant I've had kicking around for a while.  A nice model; it has its own style but you could use it for a lot of different factions without it looking out of place.


 
The riders are Clear Horizons' Hell Divers, which were the only seated figures I had, but turned out looking perfect.  I painted them to look very "Star Wars clone trooper", without actually intending to.  I just wanted to distinguish them from my other squad and not be green.  I picture this vehicle doing high-speed shore assaults, rapidly disembarking a team of infantry and then falling back to support them with missile strikes.


9 comments:

  1. Very nice dry brushing on the vehicle. The riders, for me, make the model really desirable. Maybe 15mm UK will use your idea to promote their neat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Drybrushing isn't an ideal technique, but it suits my time constraints. Maybe if I do another one of these some time I'll try using the airbrush. Mine can be adjusted to a pretty fine spray and I think it might do a nice job on linear highlights like the ones on the air cushion here. If nothing else, it makes base coating go a lot faster.

      I love the riders too, but then again the Hell Divers are an excellent line in general. I like the guy aiming his rifle, though a moving sea vehicle seems like a shaky sniping platform.

      Delete
  2. Thats has turned out wonderfully well! Lovely job and as already said by Jay the riders really add a lot of cool factor to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I really like the Ion Age vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I've actually got a couple more ordered - the new Colabreta and Hazelwurm armored cars. Very stylish :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! And I think grey/white looks best on the Hell Diver sculpts, you need to show off all that detail in a way that green can obscure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my classic army green squad, but these turned out great! It was fun to take a totally different approach on subjects I'd already done, too.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!