Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Canvas

The Dance
8"x10"




I painted this canvas as a birthday gift for my girlfriend. It's based on a photo of some traditional Korean dancers, but I obviously took many liberties with the source. I sort of imagine the scene as an struggle or contest occurring in ancient legend, with an otherworldly audience* observing. To keep the tone light, one of the smaller beings has brought some refreshments. No it doesn't make much sense, to be honest... but I hope she likes it! [EDIT: She likes it :)]

* audience members borrowed from "Spirited Away"!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent!

    IMHO floor, sky and dancers are superb but the rather simplistic (compared to the rest of the canvas) and just pitch black looking audience could've have been left behind from the scene. Feels like an A++ diroama with a black templar on it just primed black with a touch of white on the shoulderpads.

    Anyways, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I had no idea what to do with the horizon. Plus the photo I based this on has a similar audience - of bored tourists. This is way better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know i told you in person, but let's make it official - a stunning painting - I especially like the dancer on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amok Time

    Thats all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!